It was a solid wood piece and in great condition, just needed a paint job and new hardware. What I had in mind for the dresser was a very distressed, green, hand rubbed aged look. So the first thing I did was paint it the same color that I painted our french door in the kitchen, which is called Spanish Green by Valspar.
After it dried completely, I distressed it by sanding off a lot of the paint. Then I rubbed on some dark walnut stain and rubbed it off. Then rubbed on some grayish blue paint that I had but not sure of the name of, and then also rubbed that off. I wanted several colors going on, if that makes any sense.
The dresser also needed a hardware update but I didn’t want to spend any money, so, I rummaged through our boxes of drawer pulls at our shop and found 3 sets that were very similar. They didn’t match completely but were the exact same shape in diameter so I grabbed them and took them home to spray paint them an oil rubbed bronze.
I attached them to the drawers, put the whole thing back together and this is what it looks like…
I am crazy about it! I don’t think it could have turned out better than what I envisioned.
And I’m loving the three different sets of drawer pulls.
Here’s a closeup of the different colors and stains I used to distress the dresser.
I’ve got a couple more pieces to share with you before I blog about the entire room so stay tuned!
Have a great day!!